WebPageSecurity becomes SecuritySwitch
After a bit of a struggle supporting my WebPageSecurity module on Code Project, I’ve decided to put some quality effort into the project in the very near future. One of the first things that needed attention was the name.
What’s in a Name?
Could I have named it something more generic all those years ago? Perhaps, but not likely. After a few minutes of running through some of the key nouns and verbs that describe the project’s purpose, it will now be known as SecuritySwitch.
Educational Value vs. Quality Functionality
Another change to the project will be the maintenance of the dual source code languages. Since I originally started the module, a distinct project for C# and VB.NET have been maintained. While this was great for the educational aspect of the article and accompanying code, it is not ideal for a quality “product”.
After some consideration, I decided to drop the VB.NET version of the source code in favor of a single project written in C#. An immediate benefit to the community of this decision is faster releases.
All of this change should be balanced with something to make it all worth while. I intend on stopping development on the 2.x version of the module for .NET 1.1 where it is now. Of course, I’ll fix any bugs, but no new features will likely be added. Version 3.x for .NET 2.0 will continue until version 4.0. That’s when I will add some of the new features in the queue and enable full support for ASP.NET MVC as well.
Keep checking back for more progress on this project.